Saturday, October 29, 2011

Elegant Brown

When I first read MAC's description of 'Photo' lipstick as Golden-brown I thought 'ewww' - who would wear that colour on their lips???  It would look like 'mud'!  However, I started thinking about how I have golden brown as one of my power colours as a True Autumn.  I decided to be bold and give Photo a try!  To my completely suprise, I fell in love right away.  Instead of being a dirty, muddy brown - Photo was an elegant brown with subtle chestnut/chocolate undertones.  The shade didn't look clownish or out of place at all, in fact, it was awesome-ness in a tube.  I wanted to play up the golden/chestnut tones in the lipstick.  I was already wearing a lighter golden brown sweater, so I needed to balance the look out - I didn't want the look to be 'too' brown, so I decided to bring in some orange elements, especially with my eyeshadow and blush.  Here is the look I came up with:


Here is the makeup I used for this look:

Eyes: Mediterranee eyeshadow duo by NARS, Galapagos in crease/outer corners. MAC's Teddy eyeliner with NARS Bengali smudged into upper Lash-line


Blush - Faces #134 blush (a russett shade) with the orange shade from the Mediterranee duo as a pop of colour

Lips: Photo lipstick by MAC
 
I think there is a moral to this 'elegant brown' story - never tell yourself that a colour is 'off limits' if its part of your palette or you may miss out on an amazing 'find'.  If I was determined to only wear browns on my eyes and forget the idea of a golden-brown lipstick, I would have never discovered 'Photo' lipstick by MAC and I absolutely LOVE it!!!  Never be afaid of colour or trying unconvential shades or even mixing shades, you never know what you may come up with!!!

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Wow. This look is sooo beautiful. Subtle but stunning. I love it, great job :D.